Allstate Drivewise Reviews
Auto insurance companies offer discounts to help lower insurance rates in order to retain customers. One of the most popular insurance discounts is the use of telematics and usage-based insurance programs like Allstate's Drivewise program.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, telematics devices and applications give drivers the option to receive insurance rates customized to their driving habits. For drivers who want to save money, there is a financial incentive to drive less and more carefully.
In this article, you'll learn about the Allstate telematics tracking system, which requires you to download the Allstate mobile application that works with a hook-on device. See how this program can help you save money.Table of Contents
- What Is the Allstate Drivewise Program?
- What Features Are Available in the Drivewise App?
- What Is Allstate's Definition of a Safe Driver?
- What Discounts and Rewards Does the Program Provide?
- How Can I Enroll in Drivewise?
- How Can I Cancel the Program?
- Does the Program Raise Your Car Insurance Rates?
- How Does Drivewise Work?
- What Data Does Drivewise Collect?
- How Does the App Know Who's Driving?
- Can Cheating Can Get You Kicked Out of Drivewise?
- Is Allstate Drivewise Right for Me?
- Is Drivewise Worth It?
- Who Can See Your Allstate Drivewise Data?
- Allstate Drivewise Reviews on Reddit
- Who Can I Contact for Help?
- The Wrap Up: What Are the Pros and Cons of Drivewise?
Do you need a car insurance company with great discounts and affordable rates? You can use an online tool like SmartFinancial to find better rates. Just enter your zip code, and we'll provide you with insurance quotes from multiple vendors.
What Is the Allstate Drivewise Program?
Allstate Drivewise is a usage-based telematics program by Allstate Insurance Company. It measures whether you have safe driving behaviors behind the wheel, then rewards you for them. New members can receive a 10 percent discount on their car insurance premiums for signing up.
The program promises that safe driving habits may earn up to 25 percent in cash back and discounted car insurance rates. In an Allstate Drivewise review, blogger Cody J. Murphy, who enrolled in Drivewise, said the program saved him $200 on his insurance premium. Others have had similar successes.
The program tracks driving behavior through two methods. The first is a small Allstate Drivewise device installed in your car's Onboard Diagnostic Port (OBD-II port). The technology tracks driving habits, braking patterns and time. Once installed, the Allstate Drivewise device transmits this information to the car insurance company.
The second way the company tracks your information is through the Allstate Mobile app. Users can download it onto cell phones. It is compatible with the following operating systems:
- iPhone iOS 12.0 or higher
- iPod Touch
- Android 7.0 or higher
The company uses the data it collects to calculate your discounted car insurance rate.
The program is not available in every state. Current Allstate policyholders should contact their local agent to learn whether the program is available in their area. But if you want to compare standard car insurance rates to save money, shop with SmartFinancial.
What Features are Available in the Drivewise Mobile App?
Allstate Drivewise offers additional benefits to drivers. Here are other features that the insurance company provides:
- Allstate Digital Footprint – This feature show allows you to manage your private data. It also shows you how other companies use your information. Allstate also gives users the option to sign up for different identity protection services.
- Digital Car Insurance Card – Drivewise stores digital copies of your Allstate car insurance card and insurance information.
- Drivewise Driving Insights – It provides insights into how you drive. It also tells you whether you've earned safe-driving discounts. The program allows you to delete trips in its app. For instance, users can delete trips incorrectly attributed to them.
- Roadside Assistance – Allstate provides drivers emergency help when their vehicles break down through their Good Hands Rescue program. The application allows drivers to call for help after their car breaks down. For instance, you can call for lock-out assistance, jump starts, towing and flat tire changes. The program is available through a membership plan, or each time you use the program as part of your insurance policy.
- Diagnostic Functions - The device gives maintenance alerts and reminders to drivers. For instance, this device will notify you when your car's engine has a mechanical issue you should fix. You can even make an appointment to get your car fixed through the Allstate Drivewise app.
- Parking Assistant – Allstate Drivewise has an option that reminds you where you've parked your car at a facility.
- Real-Time Alerts about Unsafe Driving -The program will monitor your driving habits when you're behind the wheel. It tells you whether you're driving too fast or tailing another car too closely.
- Gas Finder - Do you need to fuel up your car? This function helps you connect with gas stations in your area.
- QuickFoto Claim – The app helps you to take pictures when filing a claim. You can also save a copy of your auto insurance information.
- Crash Detection – Drivewise has a crash detection feature that can tell when you've been in a serious accident. It will notify the insurer, who will send a notification to offer you help.
Where is the Allstate's Telematics Program Available?
The program is not available in all areas. It is only available in the following states:
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
If you don't live in these regions, you won't be eligible for the telematics tracking. If you don't qualify for the program, you can search for insurers with discount rates using SmartFinancial. Our auto insurance technology can provide you with multiple insurance quotes from local agents within your area.
Find Affordable Car Insurance
What Is Allstate's Definition of a Safe Driver?
Although Allstate says drivers can receive up to a 25 % discount on their car insurance policy, it's not guaranteed. Individuals can only earn these discounted rates if they meet the insurer's definition for safe driving behaviors. Allstate defines safe drivers as:
- Someone who drives at safer speeds (under 80 mph)
- People who avoid hard braking
- Drivers who have low mileage
- People who avoid late night driving trips
Before you sign up for the program, consider whether you match Allstate's definition of safe driving. For instance, do you drive under 80 miles per hour while cruising on the highway? Do you have a habit of hard braking and have abrupt stops? Are you mostly traveling during the early morning or afternoon hours instead of venturing out at night?
In the real world, most people aren't good drivers 100% of the time. There are situations where individuals speed on the highway or spend occasional late nights out with friends or family. These safer driving habits should be ones you practice consistently.
In addition to your driving skills, you should consider your zip code. If you live in a crowded, urban area, Allstate's Drivewise may interpret some habits as "bad driving," even if this isn't the case. You may resort to hard braking to avoid a pedestrian that entered traffic. Or you may be hard braking just to prevent hitting a deer.
Drivewise participants can delete one of these events per day (i.e one incident of hard braking only). Additionally, Allstate won't raise your rates because of a single incident. Unfortunately, if it is a common occurrence, these incidents can affect your discounts and cash back. Consider all these factors and don't assume you will save money automatically.
What Discounts and Rewards Does the Program Provide?
The Allstate app doesn't just gather information about driving habits; it also provides personalized driving insights to members. You can use the mobile app to look at how well you performed on your recent trips.
If a driver qualifies, the user will receive lower rates in exchange for their safer driving behaviors. They may also receive the following rewards from the company.
Cash Back for Good Drivers – Drivers can earn cash back after their first 50 trips of using the devicewhile driving safely behind the wheel. They provide this cash back every six months of the policy period as long as you drive safely. There are a few restrictions. This reward is only available in states where permitted by law.
Allstate Rewards Points – This Allstate Rewards Program is free. Users of the telematics device receive a signing bonus of 10,000 points towards a reward. Participants can also earn points for the following actions:
- 5,000 points – Members can earn rewards points for activating your AllState Rewards account.
- 500 points – Individuals may receive rewards points for watching Allstate Rewards "How To" Videos.
- 500 points – Drivers can get them for entering an email promo code.
- 200 points – Individuals may earn them for ten safe trips with no extreme braking incidents or speeding.
- 200 points – People can receive them for driving three consecutive days with no hard braking incidents.
- 200 points – Individuals can get points for driving three successive days with no high speeding while behind the wheel.
The Allstate Rewards Program also provides points that members can redeem for perks. These items include:
- Car Rentals
- Daily Deals (with 80% savings)
- Discounts on products in your local area
- Gift cards
- Hotel rooms
- Travel deals
- Magazine subscriptions
- Items up to 40 % off
- Sweepstakes entries
Besides earning gift cards and other rewards, you can participate in different challenges. For instance, you can avoid late-night trips or other safer driving practices.
Rewards and points may vary by state. Drivewise members should speak with their local agents to learn whether the program is available in your area.
How Can I Enroll in Drivewise?
Allstate Drivewise is available to current policyholders. You can enroll in this program by contacting your Allstate agent or calling 1 (800)-Allstate. After you join the program, the company will mail you a device and an activation code.
Non-customers can also use the Allstate Drivewise app to track their driving behaviors, but they won't receive the same discounted auto insurance rates or cash back rewards that Allstate customers receive.
You must download Allstate's mobile app to get started. To do so, visit the Apple App or Google Play stores. Once you've received the Allstate app, you'll sign up for an account, then select the "Allstate Drivewise" option, and follow the step-by-step directions.
The program isn't available in all 50 states. The rewards you receive will vary depending on the laws in your state. You can contact an Allstate agent in your area to find out if drivewise is available in your area.
How Can I Cancel the Allstate Drivewise Program?
You can quit at any time after enrolling in Allstate Drivewise. Drivers can opt out of the program by calling Allstate's customer support line at 1 (877) 431-7670.
Does the Drivewise Program Raise Your Car Insurance Rates?
According to SmartFinancial's data, the average insurance premium for Allstate is $2,844 per year. The savings Allstate Drivewise participants receive will depend on how safely they drive. Participating in the program won't increase your auto insurance rates. The program is free. It may even save you money.
Drivers can receive a 10% discount for signing up for the Allstate program. They can earn an additional 25% in cash back every six months for driving safely. They can also get reward points for participating in the program.
Allstate doesn't use the data collected from the program to raise your auto insurance premium. In many cases, participation in the program results in a discount.
Allstate policyholders don't have to spend any additional money to participate in the program. They only need to have the app installed on their phones.
For instance, Drivewise members can receive reward points during safe driving challenges. Additionally, they can receive bonus points through non-driving activities like redeeming promo codes from Allstate's insurance mailers and completing app surveys.
Does Drivewise Provide Allstate Customers with Real Discounts?
Some Allstate Drivewise reviews say most participants won't receive the full discount unless they conduct their activities during the safest hours. Unfortunately, most drivers use their cars during the moderate risk hours from 11 a.m. until 10 p.m. High-risk hours are 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
Most drivers will also have extreme braking events. Allstate defines these events as quickly slowing down 10 miles per hour over a one-second interval.
Are you searching for a company with lower rates and an excellent usage-based program or do you want a cheaper standard car insurance policy. You can use SmartFinancial to compare rates from vendors in your area. It's quick and simple. Just enter your zip code and answer a few questions. We'll provide you with multiple insurance quotes and insurance coverages from vendors in your area.
Find Affordable Car Insurance
How Does Drivewise Work?
The Allstate Drivewise technology in the device automatically switches on when your car reaches 20 mph speed. You don't have to switch your cellphone on to start the program. The device opens on its own and emits information to your cellphone or another device. For the Allstate Drivewise to work:
- Your phone must be charged 25 %.
- You must have your geo-location services enabled.
- Your movement must exceed 20 mph.
Drivewise works in the background while you drive. The device and application won't interfere with other activities. You can even make phone calls and finish other activities. The app uses a similar amount of battery power as other navigational apps. Although Allstate claims that the app doesn't drain cell phone batteries, they still recommend users plug their phones into a USB charging port while traveling on the road.
In addition to the app, Allstate's Drivewise device tracks your driving habits through your vehicle's Onboard Diagnostic (OBD-II) Port near the steering column underneath the dashboard. It will be mailed to you by Allstate.
Plug in the device after you turn off your car. It's ready to use when the Allstate Drivewise device light flashes. Once you successfully install the device, you'll get a confirmation email from Allstate along with an invitation to register your account.
The app doesn't use much data. Allstate Drivewise uploads the information at the end of every trip when your phone connects to cellular, internet or WiFi devices.
Remember that the device serves a dual purpose. Drivewise works to track factors other than your driving behavior. It also notifies you about mechanical issues in your car. If necessary, it can help you make an appointment to fix your car.
What Data Does Drivewise App Collect?
The Allstate Drivewise mobile app automatically detects when you start driving. When you drive safely, you'll earn rewards for your safe behaviors. They base these auto insurance rates on performance and driving characteristics. The company assigns a Performance Rating for each term with 12 months of rolling driving data during the policy period, or six months on the first renewal. Allstate's Drivewise app bases it on the following four driving behaviors.
- Your Speed – The auto insurance company considers anything under 80 mph as a safe speed.
- Braking Habits – Drivers should limit hard braking.
- Low Mileage – Drivewise tracks how many hours you spend on the road. Drivers should have less than 18,000 miles per year.
- Location – The app tracks where you last parked.
- Driving Data for Each Trip – The app records where you visited and drove with starting and end times.
Phone activity is another metric that the Allstate Drivewise app tracks. It provides insight into how often and when you use your phone behind the wheel. Allstate doesn't use these insights to calculate your performance rewards. They use them to provide you with awareness about your unsafe driving patterns.
In addition to safe driving habits, the app also records your travel times you drive. They separate periods into three levels of risk within 24 hours.
- Low-Risk: 4 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Moderate Risk: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- High-Risk: 10 p.m. to 4 a.m.
If you drive during the highest risk hours, it can affect the discount that you get from Allstate.
This data is visible to the driver, but Allstate doesn't use all of it to calculate its discount. The insurer can penalize you for speeding and hard braking.
You can review your performance by signing into your account to view your progress and personalized feedback on your Allstate Drivewise dashboard. You can also use your mobile app to view performance feedback.
The program will provide you information about your 50 most recent trips. You'll find out your start and end times. Additionally, it will tell you how many miles you traveled. It will track other driving behaviors. For instance, did you brake suddenly or use your phone? The program will encourage you to keep driving safely along with a thumbs-up emoji.
The program has an advantage for some users. If you don't drive well on a trip, you can go back and delete the trip so it won't affect your discounted rates.
How Does Drivewise Know Who's Driving?
Allstate assumes that the mobile phone follows the operator rather than a specific car. They claim the app can detect trips when you aren't driving. Members can delete trips any time using the app's My Trips screen in the mobile app. When you delete these items, they won't count against your driving record, nor will they affect your cash rewards.
Can Cheating Can Get You Kicked Out of the Drivewise?
Yes, it can. Some drivers try to cheat the system that Allstate has established to earn discounts, rewards and points. They try to alter the Allstate Drivewise app, or tamper with its data.
Allstate has identified drivers who have changed data in the past. They have kicked these individuals out of their program. As a result, they've lost their discounts, rewards and other services. In a few cases, the auto insurance company has threatened legal action against users who illegally changed data.
Is Allstate Drivewise Right for Me?
In our Allstate Drivewise review, SmartFinancial found that it is a better option for people who practice good driving behaviors, drive mainly during daylight hours, follow the speed limits and brake slowly.
The program is beneficial for Allstate's existing customers who can receive additional discounts on their car insurance policy by enrolling. They can also earn more cash rewards on their auto insurance premiums for signing up during the monitoring period.
Non-customers can also use the program to track and improve their driving habits.
Before signing up there are several questions you should ask yourself:
- Do I match Allstate's definition of a safe driver?
- Do I mind having my personal data collected while I'm driving?
- Am I fine with having Allstate base the discount of my insurance premium on my driving habits?
- Am I okay with having Allstate Mobile's app or their telematics device track my behavior?
If you're okay with the above questions, you can sign up for this program.
Drivewise Works for Teens
Parents may enroll their teen drivers into Allstate Drivewise as well. It will monitor their children's trip data to evaluate how well they perform behind the wheel. They can also receive alerts when young people have dangerous driving behaviors.
Additionally, it can help parents learn which driving behaviors where teen drivers need to improve.
Is Drivewise Worth It?
Unlike other carriers, Allstate Drivewise offers savings without risking a rise in insurance rates. Other usage-based companies increase rates based on the telematics data they gather. This program offers rewards and savings to good drivers without increasing their rates if they have a poor on-the-road driving performance.
Drivers without a policy can also use the app to track and improve their driving skills. They also find out if their skills could result in savings with the insurance company.
Who Can See Your Allstate Drivewise Data?
The program saves a lot of personal data, although it won't affect the performance reward you'll earn. It transmits the following data and driving habits to the insurance company:
As the app user, you're the only one who sees your trip. There is no location services information available to the individuals who service your policy. Other information Allstate uses to evaluate your driving performance is only viewable to you, your Allstate agent and the customer service representatives.
Allstate Drivewise Reviews on Reddit
Reddit users have a split opinion on the app. In their Allstate Drivewise reviews, some customers say the app has saved them money and provides them with numerous cash back rewards. In one Allstate Drivewise review, a program participant claimed he earned almost $2,000 in cash back rewards.
Others have said the app hasn't resulted in any discounts or savings on their insurance rates, due to hard braking or speeding episodes. Another Reddit reviewer claimed in their Allstate Drivewise review that he didn't receive a discount because of his travel during moderately risky commute hours, which could've meant lots of stop-and-go's.
Who Can I Contact for Help?
Do you need additional help using your Drivewise device? You can contact Allstate's customer support team at (877) 431-7670 for support. If you decide drivewise works for a safer driver than yourself, compare cheap insurance rates instead.
The Wrap Up: What Are the Pros and Cons of the Allstate Drivewise Program?
The plugin was initially a device similar to programs used by other insurance companies. Today, Allstate now offers the Drivewise Program as a mobile app. Here are some things we found in our Allstate Drivewise review:
- No insurance premium increases - Allstate won't raise your rates, unlike other telematics programs.
- Open to most drivers - The program is available to any driver. Any person can use the program.
- Non-customers can use Drivewise - Non-customers can download the app and use it but they won't save money unless they sign up for the Allstate Rewards program.
In our Allstate Drivewise review, we found the following drawbacks:
- Not Available in All Areas - Allstate Drivewise insurance is available in only 24 states.
- Terms and conditions differ depending on your location.
Are you searching for an insurer with a usage-based program that meets your needs and budget? You can use an insurance technology tool, like SmartFinancial, to find an insurance company that's right for you. Just enter your zip code and answer a few short questions. We'll provide you with insurance coverages and free insurance quotes from a local agent.
Get a Free Auto Insurance Quote Online Now.
Have a plan in place. For instance, hopping on to the claim filing process right away will make the process easier for you in the long term.
High school is the starting point for many drivers. Car insurance companies know that new drivers may be struggling to make the right choices out on the road.
Looking for Auto Insurance?
Compare rates from dozens of companies in less than 3 minutes.
Although these jobs can provide a much-needed stream of income, they also come with a few risks. A personal auto insurance policy may not be enough.
Some people wrongly believe that an out-of-state ticket will somehow “go away” once they return home. However, you will most likely be tracked down.
The average dollar loss per auto theft is $8,407, according to the Insurance Information Institute. Here's what you need to know about car thefts.
No-fault states are different in how they handle accidents. See which 12 states are no fault states and what it means if you live in one.
What you need to know before you compare rates.
What your young driver does, while driving your car, has a direct impact on what you pay for your insurance.