Travelers IntelliDrive: Save Up to 30% on Car Insurance
SmartFinancial Offers Unbiased, Fact-based Information. Our fact-checked articles are intended to educate insurance shoppers so they can make the right buying decisions. Learn More
Travelers customers can potentially save up to 30% on auto insurance by enrolling in IntelliDrive, a telematics program that calculates a discount based on how safely you drive. To get started, drivers will need to download a mobile app and agree to have their driving data tracked over 90 days. However, there’s a catch: Reckless driving behaviors can increase your policy premium. Fortunately, you can opt out of the program early without penalty.
IntelliDrive is not available in all states and the discount can vary. Keep reading to learn if you’re in an eligible state and how you can enroll.
How Does IntelliDrive Work?
To enroll in Travelers IntelliDrive, you will need to download a mobile app and agree to surrender your driving data. This app is available on Google Play or the Apple App Store. Android users must have Android 8 or newer, while Apple users must have iPhone 4S or above.
The IntelliDrive app will track your driving data over the next 90 days and we’ve listed below the types of events being measured. Throughout the monitoring period, you can access the app to review recent trips, evaluate your driving performance and even access tips for driving safely.
- Speed: IntelliDrive determines if you are going over the speed limit or following traffic laws. It also rewards those who drive slowly as it gives you a better reaction time in case you need to brake suddenly.
- Time: The time of day you drive can impact your score. IntelliDrive rewards daylight driving and flags rush-hour or late-night drives when the risk of accidents is higher.
- Acceleration: Drivers who accelerate too quickly could see a decrease in points. Gradual acceleration makes it easier to maneuver safely.
- Braking: Safe driving means keeping a safe distance from other cars and pedestrians. Braking too hard could indicate that you are driving too fast or too close to another vehicle.
- Distraction: The app can determine if you are looking at your phone while driving, which can lead to accidents and subsequent rate increases on your auto insurance. Keep your attention on the road!
- Mileage: Driving fewer miles will limit your time on the road along with your risk of an accident.
After 90 days, Travelers will calculate your discount based on your driving performance. This discount is not immediate and will apply when you renew your policy. If you’re dissatisfied with your discount, you can submit to another 90-day monitoring period to try and improve your discount.
Montana and Kansas are the only exceptions to the 45-day opt-out period — Montana drivers can opt out whenever, while Kansas drivers can opt out within 90 days without penalty.
Where Is IntelliDrive Available?
IntelliDrive is available in 38 states plus the District of Columbia. States that do not participate in the IntelliDrive Program:
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- New York
- Rhode Island
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Get Personalized Car Insurance Quotes Here
How Long Is the IntelliDrive Program?
The monitoring period for IntelliDrive is only 90 days. The data collected during this time will determine your discount amount (or rate increase if you drive poorly) and it will apply when you renew your policy. If you opt out of the program early or you’re unhappy with your discount amount, you can undergo the 90-day monitoring a second time.
What Discounts Can You Earn Through Travelers IntelliDrive?
Newly enrolled drivers can automatically save up to 12% on their insurance premiums. After completing the Intellidrive monitoring period, safe drivers can potentially earn a discount of 30% off their car insurance premium. The discount percentage and requirements can vary by state.
Besides the IntelliDrive program, Travelers offers other opportunities for saving, including discounts for maintaining a clean driving record, paying for your policy in full and owning a new car.
What Are the Pros and Cons of IntelliDrive?
Saving up to 30% on your car insurance policy is an obvious benefit of enrolling in Travelers IntelliDrive. However, there are some downsides worth noting, such as privacy concerns, rating factors beyond your control and possibly paying even more on auto insurance.
- Easily access your driving data. IntelliDrive will assign a grade from A to D based on the data it collects on your driving behaviors. Seeing how you’re graded will show specific opportunities to improve your driving and discount.
- Drivers can opt out early without penalty. If you decide that IntelliDrive is no longer for you or if you fear a poor driving score will increase your premium, you can opt out within 45 days of starting without penalty (90 days for Kansas drivers).
- The monitoring period is 90 days. Enrolling in the IntelliDrive program will require you to track your data for only 90 days. Telematics programs among other insurers will require you to stay opted in indefinitely if you want to retain your discount.
- Learn about your child’s driving performance. Parents can determine how their teen drivers are faring on the roads by monitoring the app. Younger drivers are still new to the road and the IntelliDrive can provide direction on how they can drive more safely.
- There is no premium hike for Virginia and Pennsylvania drivers. Ordinarily, your premiums may increase if IntelliDrive observes poor driving habits but not in Virginia or Pennsylvania. Drivers in these two states can enroll in Travelers’ telematics program risk-free.
- IntelliDrive is not available in all 50 states. This savings opportunity is not available to drivers who live in Alaska, California, Louisiana, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota or Wyoming.
- Daily commuters will struggle with getting a perfect score. Higher mileage is one risk factor that can reduce your premium — spending more time on the road increases your exposure to car accidents, after all. Low-mileage drivers, such as those who work from home, will score higher in this rating category.
- You can get flagged for extenuating circumstances. For example, if you have to drive during rush hour or after 8 pm, your score will go down. Similarly, your score can lower if the driver abruptly brakes, prompting you to do the same.
- Telematics technology will intrude on your privacy. IntelliDrive will track your driving data via the mobile app. If you’re leery of having your data and whereabouts tracked, IntelliDrive or any other type of telematics program will likely be a poor fit.
- Your driving score may be penalized while riding as a passenger. Unless you notify the app that you are not driving, IntelliDrive may factor a ride you’re in as a passenger into your driving score. Depending on that person’s driving skills, you could get docked points.
Who Is Travelers Intellidrive Best For?
Travelers Intellidrive is ideal for safe drivers who want to save up to 30% on their car insurance premiums. You’re already using defensive driving habits — you should earn a discount for doing so!
Drivers who are comfortable with surrendering their driving data will likely have a better experience with Travelers IntelliDrive. Your mobile app will be tracking your driving data, mileage and location over 90 days. If this is a deal-breaker, you can still save on car insurance by maintaining a clean driving record or bundling your home and auto insurance. Even if you’re nervous about signing up for telematics, just remember that you can opt out within 45 days without any repercussions other than losing your enrollment discount.
Low-mileage drivers or those who drive outside heavy traffic hours could benefit from IntelliDrive. Both racking up mileage and sitting in traffic can increase the likelihood of getting into an accident. If you don’t work a standard nine-to-five job at an office or can work from home, you may be able to avoid driving during the most congested times of the day. Therefore, IntelliDrive may be a good fit for:
- Remote workers
- Remote college students
- Stay-at-home parents
- Short commuters (your office is a few miles from your home)
- Drivers who also use public transportation
Get Personalized Car Insurance Quotes Here
Earning a discount through a telematics program is great but shopping around can help you save even more on car insurance. SmartFinancial’s free online tool makes it easy to compare prices from multiple insurance carriers. Just enter your zip code below or call 855.214.2291 to access real insurance quotes in your area.
- Travelers Insurance. “IntelliDrive.” Accessed Nov. 25, 2022.