What Is a Special Enrollment Period (SEP)?
Each year, there is an Open Enrollment Period (OEP), during which people can buy health insurance. In 2022, the OEP is November 15 through January 15. If you do not enroll during that time and experience certain life changes, you can enroll during a Special Enrollment Period.
What Is the Special Enrollment Period (SEP)?
You can sign up for a health insurance plan outside of the Open Enrollment Period during a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) if you qualify with a life event, such as:
- Getting married
- Getting divorced or separated
- Having or adopting a child
- Losing a job
- Graduating from college
- An enrollment or plan error
- Getting offered an individual coverage HRA (ICHRA) or a Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangement (QSEHRA) from an employer
- Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Leaving prison
- Starting or ending service as an AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA, or NCCC member
- If you lose health insurance coverage when a partner dies
Note: Extensive traveling and moving residences for medical treatment do not count towards eligibility to enroll in coverage during SEP.
Get Personalized Health Insurance Quotes Here
How Long Is the Special Enrollment Period?
You will have 60 days before and after the event to buy health insurance. If you miss the Open Enrollment Period due to COVID, you will still be eligible to buy a plan.
You may be asked to submit documents based on the life event you attest makes you eligible for SEP. This does not mean that you are disqualified, but you may lose your chance if you do not submit the requested documents in a timely manner.
Comparing health plans and complicated coverage tiers can be a confusing task but there’s an easier way to do it. If you fill out one brief questionnaire with SmartFinancial, you will be offered various options and prices from local health insurance agents, who will help you compare plans. If you qualify for a subsidized health plan, they will let you know. If not, they will help you find the most affordable alternative. Start your free health insurance quotes by entering your zip code below.